List:       quanta
Subject:    [Quanta] I'm back from my doctor ordered rest
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-06-30 7:08:21

Hi all!
I just wanted to explain why I haven't been seen on the list lately. Those who
know me know that I've usually got something to say. I'm also not as young as
I used to be. So this is what happened...

Last year I was starting to get headaches and have trouble concentrating. I
went to the dentist late in the year and they refused to clean my teeth
because my bloodpressure was too high. I went to my doctor early this year, I
see a naturopath, and she promptly sent me to the emergency room. If you know
about bloodpressure it's supposed to be 120/80 and by the time I was in the
emergency room it was over 220/115. This is consistent with me not doing
things halfway, unless you count halfway to a heart attack. After responding
well to drugs I was released with a light prescription and went to see my
doctor again. The goal was to get me healthy and hopefully off drugs.

My doctor ordered bloodwork, dietary changes and had me stop taking all
nutritional supplements that could elevate blood pressure. Unfortunately this
includes B vitamins for stress. I was also ordered to bed rest for weeks and
forbidden to go to the gym and lift weights. That could blow a blood vessel.
My bloodwork came back with less than glowing numbers for cholesterol profile
and blood sugar, but at least not a disaster. We're making progress now. My
headaches stopped right away, but my energy was not so good and much time in
my office meant I had to take a break and rest.

Effectively I had to stop all but the least stressful work and I backed away
from any other drain on my energy, like my open source projects. It's likely
that cramming 20-40 hours a week in on top of my work and not sleeping much
had something to do with my bloodpressure. To add to all this I had to locate
a new farm plot for Kitty Hooch on an emergency basis. While that went behind
schedule and added financial strain it appears that it will not be a disaster
and our personal income should jump this year. I've had a lot more going on
too. Feel free to check out some of my fun at http://kittyhooch.com like the
cat run I did for Waldo and Tink Bastian (Long term KDE people).
http://kittyhooch.com/walkway.php

I'm now getting back to a more normal schedule and working on plans for Quanta
and Kommander for KDE 4. I'm a very busy guy. I'm seeing my doctor weekly for
nutritional and wholistic treatments and things are looking good. I hope to
be off prescription drugs by next year. I hope to get some programming time
in later this year.

We will need to get three of us to the conference this year and I want to
update developer hardware too. Any financial support towards our project is
very welcome as we work on getting the new version ready and giving you
something to cheer about. http://kdewebdev.org/donate.php

I have enjoyed wonderful support and encouragement from the community so
thanks to all of you in advance for your best wishes.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org