List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] CMS Over My Head?
From:       Bob Hutchinson <hutchlists () midwales ! com>
Date:       2006-06-29 11:23:08

On Wednesday 28 Jun 2006 18:27, Jerry wrote:
> Andrew, Thanks for your comments. I was going to download TYPO3, but
> stopped when MYsql, and php requirements were listed. This is probably out
> of bounds for a Quanta forum but there are so many pros on here, I think
> I'll get straight answers.
>
> I am managing a non-profit organization's web site, as I said in my earlier
> post. I do it from my desktop computer running the latest version Ubuntu.
> MYsql and php are on the Ubuntu applications list and some of the
> components are installed, but there are numerous associated apps listed
> that are not installed. Here's my question: My computer is not set up as a
> server and I'm not sure I want to do that, but I don't know because I don't
> know what I'm getting into.
>
> A local ISP hosts the website without cost. Their server is php compliant
> and it is probably MYsql compliant, also, but I don't know . . . which, of
> course, I can find out. So, on the TYPO3 download site there are two
> their server." And download #2, installs TYPO3 plus MYsql and PHP. I don't
> think I need download option #2, but I don't know if my system is really
> set up to accept download option #1. Will TYPO3 work for me if the ISP
> server has MYsql and PHP installed on that server? Or do I have to have
> those apps on my computer to get TYPO3 to work.? I suppose I should be
> asking this on the TYPO3 support page, but I thought I might get a quicker
> reply from this forum
>
> I apologize for the long post.

typo3 is a seriously big CMS with a matching learning curve, our local county
council use it and have a full-time team working with it, but it's much too
big for smaller outfits.

phpwebsite is a nice simple CMS, easy to install and there are free templates
available.
http://phpwebsite.appstate.edu/

If you don't mind rolling up your sleeves try Drupal or CivicSpace which has
Drupal under the bonnet. Very modular and highly configurable, but might
require some work to get it the way you want it.
http://drupal.org/
http://civicspacelabs.com/

All these are GPL and have forums, FAQs etc

Whatever you go for, try it out first on a local linux development box.

HTH