List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] CMS Over My Head?
From:       frq <tacensi () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-06-29 2:09:26

Jerry <jerry.coover@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am managing a non-profit organization's web site, as I said in my earlier
> post. I do it from my desktop computer running the latest version Ubuntu.
> MYsql and php are on the Ubuntu applications list and some of the components
> are installed, but there are numerous associated apps listed that are not
> installed. Here's my question: My computer is not set up as a server and I'm
> not sure I want to do that, but I don't know because I don't know what I'm
> getting into.

You could install the server on your machine for testing purposes.
It's a good way to learn, also. I installed on my machine once the
Xampp package.  It's easy to install, actually you just unzip it. You
can get it at www.apachefriends.org.
It will run just on your machine, and in the machines inside your
local network by default, but you can change it to allow access from
your machine only.

> A local ISP hosts the website without cost. Their server is php compliant and
> it is probably MYsql compliant, also, but I don't know . . . which, of
> course, I can find out. So, on the TYPO3 download site there are two options:
> download #1, for those with MYsql and PHP already installed "on their
> server." And download #2, installs TYPO3 plus MYsql and PHP. I don't think I
> need download option #2, but I don't know if my system is really set up to
> accept download option #1. Will TYPO3 work for me if the ISP server has MYsql
> and PHP installed on that server? Or do I have to have those apps on my
> computer to get TYPO3 to work.? I suppose I should be asking this on the
> TYPO3 support page, but I thought I might get a quicker reply from this forum

As I said, you could install it locally for testing and learning. I
would go for the separate install, even if choose to install Apache,
PHP and MySQL from the Ubuntu repositories. Later, if you feel TYPO#
is not to you, and you want to chose another CMS (you would be
surprised to know how many there are just at the CMS Matrix website -
http://www.cmsmatrix.org/), it would be easy to change.
For your ISP, it's definitely the 'just CMS' version. Normally they
are easy to set up. Just check the Apache, PHP and Mysql versions, and
check TYPO 3 website for pre-requisites.
Some hosting companies offer low cost plans with an easy one-click
install – usually WordPress.

--
--frq--
tacensi[at]gmail.com