List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] go-to-file dialog
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-03-29 7:07:46

On Monday 27 March 2006 12:03 am, Martin Larsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a PHP project with quite a lot of files and classes. At the
> moment I think we have about around 400 classes and maybe 500 files and as
> I am most comfortable using the keyboard for browsing the code I'm
> wondering if there is a way to get a "go-to-file"-dialog?
>
> It would be nice if I would be able to get a dialog where I could type
> (part of) a filename (or maybe even a classname) and get Quanta to open the
> corresponding file if it is not already open or switch to the correct
> buffer if is is. Exactly like opening the project view and clicking a file
> but using the keyboard only.

It should be possible to create a tool like this with Kommander and DCOP. We
have a mechanism for opening files with DCOP and the file widget in Kommander
can auto complete. I would expect the handling mechanism would handle an open
file correctly as Quanta 3x can only have one instance of a file open.

As far as working with classes goes it would be easy enough to have a script
that parsed configured directory contents for PHP class declarations and
create a data file which could be used to reference a file name from a class
name.

As an additional note, I use Kommander dialogs for large classes that I use
heavily. I set them up with tabs for groups of operations and sub tabs for
methods. It's possible not only to construct statements from widget values
but internal scripts can also parse the current line in a quanta editor file
and populate a dialog for editing generated statements. My ultimate goal is a
wizard that parses a class and assists in creating a dialog. In fact this is
remarkably straightforward because even though you visually design dialogs in
Kommander the actual files are just XML.

If you need help creating Kommander dialogs please access our Kommander
mailing list for help. As soon as Andras and I finish debugging the KStuff
admin area these can easily be shared with our user base.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org