List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] VPL inoperative in SuSE 10.0
From:       Carl Hartung <suselinux () cehartung ! com>
Date:       2006-03-08 12:40:09

On Wednesday 08 March 2006 04:59, JL Morris wrote:
> I am currently running Quanta Plus 3.4.2 on SuSE 10.0. I am very happy
> with the operation and ease of programming that Quanta provides, even
> though I haven't yet taken full advantage of all of it's capabilities.
> One problem I have run into involves the VPL function. All I get is a
> blank window in VPL mode, even with simple HTML. In the split VPL/Editor
> mode, I get the source editor in the lower half of the window, but
> nothing in the VPL section. Is there some setup that is unique to SuSE
> or anything I can try to achieve proper VPL operation? Thanks for any help.

Hi Lee,

I had stability problems and quirks with Quanta+ similar to what you describe.
I upgraded to 3.5 when I upgraded KDE and many of these problems went away.
Then I saw Andras' post last Saturday, followed the instructions and asked a
few questions and I was able to download, compile and install the latest
stable version and I'm really happy with it.

regards,

Carl

Here are the relevant excerpts of my thread regarding that process:
(sorry, it's faster to quote than clean it up and rewrite... too busy this
a.m.)

Thread start:

> > Hi,
> >
> >  As Quanta from 3.5 branch got some big fixes during the last days
> > (and probably this trend will continue), I would like to request
> > everyone who is not afraid of compiling from source, to download
> > the latest snapshot from
> > ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/snapshots/ or better check out
> > the svn version according to
> > http://quanta.kdewebdev.org/faq.php#svn_version. (Use
> > svn co svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/KDE/3.5/kdewebdev .)
> >
> > The revision you get must be later than 515803 and Quanta should
> > identify itself as 3.5.2.

My inquiry:

> > Hi Andras, Hi All.
> >
> > I'm running a 'stock' SUSE 9.3 installation with KDE upgraded to
> > 3.5.1 level "a". I've got this project underway in ~/kdewebdev/ and
> > have some questions:
> >
> > First, I'd appreciate it if one of you could please tell me what
> > flags/parameters are needed when I run ./configure so I can avoid
> > hosing my system. It's an AMD K7 that seems generally happiest when I
> > use i586 and i686 'flavor' rpms.

Response: