List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] A 'Hello!' and brief question...
From:       quanta () synersoft ! be
Date:       2006-02-16 1:15:11

On Thu February 16 2006 00:41, Eric Laffoon wrote:
> This is the difference between WYSIWYG and VPL. VPL, though not yet mature,
>.
>.
>.
>
> We're concerned about the quality of our work, how we facilitate standards
> compliance and your future relevance as a web developer using our tools. Be
> thoughtful about what you advocate here. We have a little higher standards.
> --
> Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
> http://quanta.kdewebdev.org

Eric,

Don't take offense at my post, my aim was only to help someone in need of a
simple WYSIWYG solution (as I erroneously thought, with the 'mom & pop'
mention).

I was just passing along my experience : as a web developer, I use Perl or PHP
scripts to generate HTML. I use an editor only for quick & dirty jobs or for
prototyping. Recently, I had to build a table prototype. Instead of using
Dreamweaver, I've investigated Linux tools. My first try has been Quanta. You
are guessing the conclusion : impossible to fill a table with content (see my
unanswered post about it). So I tried Nvu, and I filled my table in 10
minutes.

That said, I've full respect for your work and I can perceive the difference
between the two products.

Finally, talking about standards, best practices, and the like, I remember my
first PC programming efforts to avoid writing into the video RAM, only using
the ANSI.SYS driver. You know what became the standard. OK, that's nothing to
do with our subject, just a reminder that standards change and efficiency has
its importance.

Sorry again for the trouble.

André