List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Absolute v's relative paths in links
From:       Jens Herden <jens () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2005-12-22 14:45:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

> Thanks Jens

You are welcome.

> It does what I want in quanta if I use
> 	<base href="../" />
> in the header of documents on step down(up) the tree.  Adding more "../"'s
> for each additional layer.  My links can then look like;

> but not like those below.

I never thought about this way to use the base tag. I am surprised that it
works, well sort of.

> Unfortunately this does not work when I upload to my webserver.  I have to
> either use relative links or absolute link referenced to web page root.
> Both these work (on the web server) from pages located in the content dir.

Yes, this is what I had in mind. Define the base and use relative links.

> I was thinking that defining "document root" in quanta somewhere might be a
> useful thing to have so that all project docs are referenced to that.

AFAIK it does not do this yet.

> Else
> I have to test my pages in quanta then edit the links before I upload.  I
> could flatten the tree I guess.

What about leaving the links as they are and just replace the base tag?
You could have two base tags one for your filesystem and one for your server
then you only have a single point in your documents to change.

I am aware of the whole problematic and I hope that we will be able to solve
this in a good way for Quanta 4.

Jens