List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Problem with mailto: links in Quanta
From:       Graeme Nichols <gnichols () tpg ! com ! au>
Date:       2005-12-21 1:39:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:22 pm, Eric Laffoon wrote:
> On Monday 19 December 2005 9:53 pm, Graeme Nichols wrote:
> > I know this is not a Quanta problem but I was hoping you would
> > point me in the right direction where I can get an answer.
> >
> > Ta,
> >
> > Graeme.
>
> As Jens pointed out Quanta is in kdewebdev. I've pointed out on the
> list a number of times that Fedora is a perpetual beta for Red Hat's
> RHEL server and as such it's not going to be at the same level of
> polish of other desktop oriented distributions. I think it may have
> gotten better because early on it was a full major point release
> behind everyone and was not capable of compiling KDE due to C++ bugs.
> Every serious review of Fedora acknowledges it takes a lot of work to
> get close to usable, but it's not ready for prime time, then Red Hat
> has a PR piece commissioned and get more testers, but those people
> aren't feeding back to RH, but to application devlopers. Invariably
> we get lots of requests for problems we've never seen because they're
> introduced in packaging.

Hello Eric, I'm sorry to have touched a raw nerve. FC is certainly
bleeding edge for Red Hat and is the testing platform for RHEL
distributions. The RHEL distributions may be more stable than FC but
they are also way behind in versions of the software included in the
distribution. If one wants a recent version of KDE in the distribution
one has to go for FC. Also, one has to admit, KDE is not really
supported by RH where Gnome is the default desktop. FC4 is pretty
stable though. Apart from this funny behaviour with Quanta I have never
experienced problems. I use Korganiser and Kmail and have never had a
real problem with either. Quanta also works just fine except for the
doubling up effect of the tag toolbars.

> Let's face it. Red Hat is raking in a stinking huge pile of money
> compared to the trace residue that falls in our hands under their
> table. The only way they will stop breaking software in the packaging
> stage is if users make enough noise to them about what was broken.
> The idea that we can be a free resource for the software they don't
> collect huge license fees on is, if you really think about it,
> tragically unjust. I find it slightly odd they make so many changes
> that pure probability says will cause bugs for seemingly no apparent
> reason. Don't they know what they did?

What Red Hat is striving for is a standardised desktop look and feel. If
I boot with Gnome or KDE the desktop looks the same, the windows look
the same, everything looks the same. If one wants to encourage Windows
users to Linux then this is what has to happen. Windows is Windows is
Windows. The look and feel barely changes between releases. Linux has a
different look and feel for each distribution which is probably why
people like you and I and other Linux users prefer Linux. We can choose
the distribution that we are comfortable with.

> If you build all the software as released it works. If you shuffle
> and tweak it enough in packaging you have a package your service
> department can justify your costs with. We just want to make good
> software. The people who broke it and who are making money off of
> servicing it should fix it to the level we released and then we can
> take it from there.

I agree with you and can really sympathise but surely you are not
advocating that Quanta should not be part of a Red Hat distribution and
if it is then all support should come from Red Hat. You would lose half
or more of Quanta users. Red Hat is the biggest Linux distribution
packager. I do not begrudge them their profit because without it there
would be one less Linux advocate and packager and we would all be the
poorer for it.

You have a reputation amongst Linux users of being a really helpful
person. I guess that does mean that we users are liable to take
advantage at times but, please, do not let Red Hat sour you. I
apologise if you think I have taken advantage but I did try and sort
out my Quanta problems before I asked here for help. Neither you nor
anyone else has the answer to my problem but, hey, that's life.

> Alternately you could make your life easier
> choosing SUSE, Ark, Kubuntu, Mandriva or one of numerous distros that
> focus on an end user desktop. ;-)

I have tried SUSE, Kubuntu and Mandriva but was not overly impressed. My
personal opinion only :-)

Thanks Eric.

Kind regards, Graeme Nichols.
A large number of installed systems work by fiat.  That is, they work
by being declared to work.
		-- Anatol Holt