List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] sever side includes
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-11-28 16:47:01

On Monday 28 November 2005 2:46 am, Robert Lee Taylor wrote:
> Hey guys.
>
> Quick question ... I'm taking quanta for a test spin and i love it so
> far.
>
> The only feature I miss from Dreamweaver is to preview server side
> include files (php) in the visual view.  It helps when designing and
> doing page layouts.
>
> I noticed that in project preferences you can setup preview prefix, but
> i can't seem to get a visal representation of the php ssi's in vpl.  I
> have tried every combination, and of course /home/user/Desktop/project
> is the basic path I would think should work.
>
> Is this because that is not supported yet or am I simply not using the
> right path/syntax?

> Note: I have googled but nothing seems to come up with this point.
>
> - Rob
>
> p.s.  Thanks for a great project.

Project preview only works in preview mode, not VPL which is an actual edit
mode. In addition to this it needs to be on an actual server as it will use
the installed PHP and Apache to render the page. We've covered specific tips
on the list and IIRC in the docs. I actually set up my project directory in
the server tree and link it into my home directory so that I can preview any
project.

We use PHP heavily and while I don't use Dreamweaver and never have I've been
told numerous times that for PHP use it's not even close to Quanta for
functionality. Note things like the document structure tree, scoped variable
management across included files and such. For more extreme examples...
* Every PHP auto complete function can be made into a dialog like the context
sensitive HTML dialogs... if somebody really wanted.
* Enhanced usage of things like functions and classes can be done using
Kommander dialogs, Actions and DCOP. I have some dialogs that not only insert
function strings but gather the current editor line to populate the dialog
and switch to the relevent function tab. This is all point and click
development.

BTW we also sponsor developers to work on Quanta. The "free" in "Free
Software" is "free to distribute and share", but it's certainly not free to
produce. We hope people who find more value in Quanta will share a portion of
their "savings" in time, effort and licensing fees as an investment in the
future development of our project, or at least a token of appreciation. ;-)
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org