List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Updates and chages on pages
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-10-27 22:49:34

On Thursday 27 October 2005 2:22 pm, fayer wrote:
> Hi,
> Could anyone share with his way of designing webpages which are  easy to
> update? Do I really have to edit every page to make changes for e.g. in
> the menu section?
> I 've found the php script lately with the function "include", and it's
> really good - you can make a file "menu.html" and put the script on
> other pages. If you make any change to the "menu.html" file,  they are
> are visible on every other page ;-) Do you know another ways to automate
> and easy the designignig of your pages? (except frames of course ;-))
>
> Regards,
> fayer77, Poland

We actually have a list for questions like this on our site. It's the
kdewebdev-webdeveloper list.

My personal practice has been dictated by years of experience and creative
laziness, as all good programs are. ;-) I use a set of templates for primary
page design and a combination of various elements...
* A base include file that holds primary functions and can manage any new
universal include libraries - this goes first so it can manage cookies and
sessions.
* Optionally a document head include which can manage specific style control
or manage library paths for subdomains - this can also be combined with the
above.
* Page headers/menus
* common elements like area menus
* document footer

Using style sheets and defining your elements to style up front is another
very useful way to make a site easier to maintain.

Another way to approach it is to use a minimum number of base pages and
abstract all content to individual files. You can then use the HTML GET like
so http://mydomain/mainpage.php?content=mainpage. This however can take a lot
of time to set up and if you're not careful it can still be a maintenance
challenge.

As of PHP5 there are interesting opportunities with simplexml to abstract
content and with enhanced object oriented design to do interesting things.

One interesting feature of Quanta is the linking or "binary" template which
can be used for images or also PHP includes. You can set pre and post so that
it constructs a PHP include statement and if the template directory is
uploaded then it will work online.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org