List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Download ability?
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-10-13 16:46:05

On Wednesday 12 October 2005 11:21 pm, Chris van de Wouw wrote:
> > Grant access to upload only to line developers and grant CVS access to
> > others. Have all changes go into CVS which Quanta manages internally and
> > with Cervisia. Now to see what has changed all you have to do is update
> > the tree. Not only do you get what's new, but you can review all changes
> > with annotation. You can also do more extensive changes and test prior to
> > uploading.
>
> CVS access to developers ok. But not for customers. And it is exactly these
> customers who have little html experience, no php experience, though with a
> little effort able to change a time notation from 12h to 24h, change
> graphics, change config files, etc. etc. And I can't stop them from doing
> that, nor do I intend to. They know if they break something and I have to
> fix it, it cost them money, but that usually doesn't happen. But it does
> happen they request a new feature for their site and I have to update it.
> That is the point things need to be synchronized, as I have no overview of
> what they have changed for themself.

Our objective for 4.0 will be useful if you use abstracted design like
managing content in XML files. For instance, suppose you have broken up
content and display information and integrate it in PHP5 with simplexml. The
cool thing you could do is set up a template for a Live CD where you simply
input your configuration information for who would be using it. Then burn the
CD and give it to the content person. The result would be the following...
* The would have access to update, commit and upload only files in the
specified group.
* They would have access to retrieve any required library files for any local
test or edit only.
* The operations would be password free using ssh-keys and you can manage
passwords as you see fit, such as timing them out.
* The interface would be simplified to address only authorized operations and
a custom toolbar would manage their file operations.
* The XML content could be visually edited using XSLT on the fly so they would
not be dealing with any text edits.

The idea would be that you could give someone a Live CD or a Klik application
that would provide a user/group specific interface. Also as a team leader you
will be able to offer a lot of this customization to dedicated team members.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org