List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] How can upgrade/uninstall my current Quanta 3.3.2
From:       Andrew Lowe <andrew.lowe () manildra ! com ! au>
Date:       2005-08-16 0:00:04

I currently use Slackware.  I also currently use Quanta 3.4.2.

Slackware-current has KDE 3.4.2 and also Quanta 3.4.2 packages
(kdewebdev-3.4.2-i486-1.tgz).  I use a package tool called Swaret to
keep my system current, and although Swaret is not official, it works
for me really well, and manages dependencies and downloading, etc, that
pkgtool does not - I have noticed that there is a package manager with
dependencies included with Slackware-current, this may be a better
option (slackpkg) - although swaret appears to be in extra/ now too.

You could also download the packages from an official Slackware mirror
and install (I think you can just get the kdewebdev package, and it
should be right as I believe Quanta 3.4.2 does not require KDE 3.4.2.  I
have found no problems with this version of KDE, so you might want to
upgrade that at the same time (Slackware is usually rock solid stable
and well tested).

Downloading the Slackware packages from the official mirrors is probably
the best option, rather then compiling from source.  This way the
pkgtool will upgrade cleanly.
If you want to uninstall Quanta run pkgtool on the command line (or
terminal window) and remove kdewebdev (Quanta is part of this package).
Also downloading from current, you will need to get
kdewebdev-3.4.2-i486-1.tgz and run pkgtool on this file.

Hope this helps.

Andrew Lowe
    System Administrator & Programmer
        Information Technology