List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta and ftp
From:       Bill Chmura <Bill () Explosivo ! com>
Date:       2005-08-02 14:30:01

One thing we do with CVS is post development versions of sites for
review before posting.  We installed a web server on the server with
CVS, and have a mechanism, that when a developer is happy with what he
has locally on his machine, he issues a command to postdev (post to
development) which commits cvs changes, then calls a program on the cvs
server that builds it there and makes it available.

Postlive does something similar, but tags cvs so we can go back

We've also played with CruiseControl and having it automatically build
dev sites when cvs is updated

Quanta can issue all these commands, but since all the other dev's are
windows based - I've not delved into it much.

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:21:40 +1000
James Ellis <james.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> So true, something I have come up with in development is a difficult
> education process about CVS/SVN and that FTP is NOT a version control
> system nor is it a reliable way of updating a site. It's a File
> Transfer Protocol.
>
> An additional benefit of a version control system is tagging, doing an
> export on a certain tag, then rolling up the site as a package (zip
> tar rpm whatever) for release and, as Eric says, rollback when things
> go bad.
>
> Cheers
> James
>

> > * While we support FTP we discourage it because it sends your site password in
> > cleartext and this is incredibly easy to sniff, making FTP access only useful
> > for sites you don't care if hackers are walking through.
> > * Dreamweaver defaults to using the production server as a central repository.
> > We consider this insane. Our default is to use CVS (and with the new version
> > in development SVN) as a side repository providing versioning, blame
> > annotation, conflict resolution and synchronization. Checkouts and updates
> > are done with the repository and authorized members review, tag and upload.
> > This enables easy rollback of the site.

Bill Chmura
Director of Internet Technology
Explosivo ITG