List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Problemas com a
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-07-20 16:11:52

On Wednesday 20 July 2005 8:03 am, frq wrote:
> I cannot help Alberane with an answer to his question, but what he
> said is he is running Kde 3.2 with Mandrake 10.2 and is having
> problems updating quanta from 3.2 to 3.4. He tried to compile and to
> install kdewebdev without success. Although he uses Linux for a while,
> he is not "much into" compiling and stuff. Hope my english is
> sufficient ;-);-)

You can install Quanta at 1 major point version above KDE. So...
KDE 3.2 + Quanta 3.3 = working install
KDE 3.2 + Quanta 3.4 != working install

> Now a question of mine: is Quanta versions attached to Kde versions;
> for example, Quanta 3.2 with Kde 3.2 and Quanta 3.4 with KDE 3.4?

The version naming of Quanta with KDE is purely coincidence. During KDE 1x
Quanta reached 1.04 IIRC and when it was ported to KDE 2 we decided it was
such a major upgrade to make it a 2.0 release, but actually it was late in
the 2x series when Andras helped that it reached official release level. Then
we were late for KDE 3.0 and because we also made architectural changes in
how Quanta deals with DTDs we released a 3.0. We were invited to join the
main packages for the 3.1 release, and even though we hadn't done that much
to 3.1 we decided to sync the version. Because we have been tied to the KDE
release schedule, the amount of work for an upgrade and the time we spend
servicing users and fixing bugs we have not been able to release a final
level version outside the schedule.

There is no assurance Quanta will stay in sync with version numbers, but the
kdewebdev package will always be in sync. Prior to KDE 3.3 we also did not
have this distinction.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org