List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Can't Downloard Quanta
From:       Jerry Smith <jsmith () mt-vernon ! com>
Date:       2005-07-13 16:29:46

Eric Laffoon wrote:

>On Tuesday 12 July 2005 2:41 pm, Jerry Smith wrote:
>

>There are any number of possible causes, though it's unusual, but it's likely
>on your end. One thing you can do is ping the site...
>ping kde.org
>and then after a bit hit Ctrl-C. You will get a report telling you if packets
>were dropped. If you are using dial up in particular there can be problems in
>connection where you're dropped off, etc... However there are download
>managers and the software should get it right and retry until it's complete.
>Other than that there is a possibility that the packages you're attempting to
>retrieve are incomplete. It's possible to have a problem and create a botched
>package... But the thing is that this type of thing is usually discovered
>quickly.  So it doesn't make sense really.
>

>I'm not clear on exactly where you're doing your downloads from. Carlos
>pointed you in the right direction. If you can download large files from
>other sites you can rule out your hardware or software failing under load.
>That leaves your mirrors. If you have a problem there you should communicate
>with the admins. Possibly there is something they need to fix.

Eric,

I used Carlos' site and downloaded okay, though I've been unable to
install the tar ball.
The site I was trying before was the download link on the kdedev-quanta
site. I found, after the fact, that I had actually download files but I
had no indication of downloading activity. I guess I need a good
download manager. (Any suggestions?)

Now, regarding the installation all went well but there were a number of
warnings and errors, the same ones, I believe, that I got the first time
around when I tried installing a week or so ago. Among them: kde version
not defined, missing binary operator before token "(", newstuff error,
all-recursive error. . .

I tired launching Quanta without success. As I mentioned to Carlos, I
tried making an app link on the desktop but I don't know which file to
aim at to launch Quantas.

How do I "ping" kde.org?