List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta+ crashes at launch: backtrace included
From:       Kimberly Lazarski <kim () biyn ! com>
Date:       2005-05-27 3:27:03

On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 21:16, Jens Herden wrote:
> Hi Kim,
>
> > When I launch Quanta+ as root, it launches and runs just fine. When I
> > launch it as a user, the splash screen comes up, then the application
> > window opens and immediately crashes.
>
> Smells like a problem with file permissions.

Bingo! I was thinking along those lines because I launched it first as
root via kdesu rather than as a normal user.

> > The first time Quanta+ was launched on this installation, I launched it
> > via kdesu because I had to take care of some web changes immediately,
> > before I had the time to configure samba with the proper permissions.
> > When I launched Quanta for the first time in this manner did I cause a
> > global config file to be created somewhere? I checked
> > /etc/opt/kde3/share and could not find anything Quanta-related.

> <wild guess>
> Look at /opt/kde3/share/apps/quanta/, everything here must be readable for
> your user.

Great! I checked under /etc but everything KDE-related is already
readable. . . I also checked the libraries referenced in the backtrace.

> And you must have a bunch of folders here: csseditor doc dtep scripts
> templates toolbar toolbars
> </wild guess>

kim2p3:/opt/kde3/share/apps/quanta # chmod -R a+r *
kim2p3:/opt/kde3/share/apps/quanta #

Yes! That fixed it. Thanks, Jens!

--Kim