List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Re: Quanta CPU usage on large PHP file
From:       Linus McCabe <Linus () mccabe ! nu>
Date:       2005-05-09 20:00:11

On Monday 09 May 2005 09.35, Andras Mantia wrote:
> Unfortunately the file needs to be reparsed when you switch to it,
> otherwise Quanta would use too much memory. I mean, the node tree is
> not kept in the memory for each file, but it is rebuilt when you switch
> to a file.

How much memory is used here, do you have an estimate? (I'm aware file size
and complexity matters here...)

Perhaps rather than implementing a disk cache, you could have an option to
store the node tree in memory and let the os swap engine take care of disk
cacheing if needed?

Personally, I usually have only five or six files open, so i doubt it would be
an issue for me...

Or perhaps keep the latest X node trees in memory, since even if you have many
files open, you usually work on a few at a time (me, that is ;)

By default then, you'd set X to 1 and you'd have the current behaviour. People
with too much memory could increase the setting.

/L