List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Re: Quanta CPU usage on large PHP file
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-09 8:04:26

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 09 May 2005 10:57, Sams Niko wrote:
> > Unfortunately the file needs to be reparsed when you switch to it,
> > otherwise Quanta would use too much memory. I mean, the node tree
> > is not kept in the memory for each file, but it is rebuilt when you
> > switch to a file.
>
> ok, got that.
>
> i do not use the document-structure and JS-files don't have afaik a
> variable-autocompletion as php does.
>
> imho quanta does not have to parse my file(?)

That's your opinion, which is not mine.

> maby the parser could be only activated when needed (or make it
> DTD-configurable)?

I explained a lot also on this list: without the parser you could use
Kate as well for editing. Without the parser you will not get:
- autocompletion
- tag editing
- attribute editor
- problem reporter
- css editing
- table editing
- VPL
...and the list could continue.

> ...or are there any other suggestions on improving this?
>
> if it is possible speed-improving the parser till 3.5 it would be
> fine for me...

We will try to make it threaded, but that's for the KDE4 times. For 3.5
I'll try to do some check what can cause the slowdown, altough I will
focus on slowdown-when-typing, not when switching to the document.

Andras