List:       quanta
Subject:    [Quanta] Quanta observations - slow development time
From:       Kimberly Lazarski <kim () biyn ! com>
Date:       2005-04-14 22:40:24

Just some feedback from one of my developers:

{
Quanta does many things well, but in comparison to developing asp.net in
Visual Studio, there are some things lacking which really slow down
development time. One of the features that allows for extremely rapid
development in Visual Studio is the F12 functionality.

Put your cursor in any variable, function name, object, etc. and hit the
F12 key, and Visual Studio opens and brings the document containing that
definition to the foreground and identifies and brings focus to the
definition you're searching for.  This is instant in Visual Studio.

However in Quanta you have to execute multiple steps: first you must do
"find in files" then see which files are returned in the results. You
then need to find which file contains the definition rather than use of
the (function/variable/object/etc) in question, and so on.  This can
cost countless hours when dealing with a large web application/web site.

Also:

When using the "->" operator, visual studio drops a member list down,
showing any methods or members which can be accessed in the object. If
this could be implemented in Quanta Plus, it eliminates the need to
search for class definitions in most cases.
}

My comment:

The developer in question is still on 3.3.2, until a current project is
completed (the upgrade got delayed).

Although PHP is (usually) an interpreted, not compiled language, there
could be a mechanism developed to track the definition locations.  I
believe phpedit and Zend Studio do this but when we tried them we didn't
like those IDEs because, well, they shove certain configurations down
your throat.

Maybe Quanta does this already and if it does pardon me for the
interruption.  If it provides these features already, how does one
enable/take advantage of them?