List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] [OT] Blue fish scum!!!
From:       Kimberly Lazarski <kim () biyn ! com>
Date:       2005-04-07 14:14:39

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 22:57, Eric Laffoon wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 April 2005 01:37 pm, Eric Laffoon wrote:
> > I've notified osdir.com of what is being done.
>

> These are all the reasons at the core of who I am that lead me to work on free
> software. So what troubles me is more culture shock than anything I guess.

Wait, I notice the url is openoffice.nl. Is this simply a coincidence,
or are they somehow affiliated with OpenOffice.org?

If they are affiliated with OOo it does not surprise, shock, or dissuade
me in the least. Why?

Look at the OOo philosophy: take a broken project with disorganized code
and a broken architecture, add more features to it, and every time
someone reports a critical major bug or performance issue, play it down,
tell the user you don't give a rat's behind because OOo is more
interested in adding more features than they are in fixing "minor"
performance issues (such as spreadsheets taking one, two hours or even
longer to open - ones which M$ Excel opens in seconds on Windows and
even faster under wine), all the while singing their own praises and
patting each other on the back, stroking their own egos.

Let's not even get into issues with their PDF exporter. ;)

Check their (the OOo) tracking system sometime: their philosophy is the
polar opposite of that which the Quanta team adheres to. Look at how
quickly defects are turned around on this list, and look at how many
defects get bumped down in priority/severity in the OOo database -
sometimes scolding users for having dared complain about such issues.
These "minor" defects are bugs which in a professional environment would
be considered fatal roadblocks (and when I was a QA Director I refused
to let such defects get out the door, and the same goes for when I was
Release Engineer and would lock the project and not deliver a new build
to QA until critical bugs were unit tested and checked in).

So, if there is a Blue Fish / OOo affiliation at any level, don't be the
least bit surprised that they would pull something like this.

I shouldn't be surprised at OOo since they are the spawn of Sun
Microsystems, which held a similar philosophy with Slowlaris through the
'90s, denying fatal defects unless you paid for a partner program, then
you would get an NDA and also patches for those defects.

Sorry if this rant is out of line, I mean no offense, but I just don't
trust the openoffice folks based on what I saw in their bug tracker, and
what I experienced when reporting a serious performance issue.

--Kim