List:       quanta
Subject:    [Quanta] Encoding problem
From:       steve szmidt <steve () szmidt ! org>
Date:       2005-03-04 23:32:36

Hi,

I've run into something which have me stomped. Quanta is saving files as
utf-16, even though I've set it to utf-8. Now I never really learned how the
encoding works but I thought it would be setup to work nicely with everyone.

(I got FC3,  with Quanta 3.3. )

I created a plain file and added html to it using VIM, then saved it and
opened it a few times. Next I started using Quanta and after a bit I noticed
that VIM had the wrong encoding on the previously good files. And I cannot
browse them.

Now I have run into this problem before FC3 so I don't think it's related to
it. With any browser it comes out funky until I set the browsers encoding to
utf-16, so it's not automatically being recognized.

Apache is installed for web page testing on my machine so I installed it on a
laptop which is running RH8 (2.4 kernel). The pages comes out encoded the
wrong way there too.

If I send something over that has only been edited in f.ex. VIM then it looks
alright. I've not tried KEDIT but I understand it is using the same encoding
as Quanta.

So how do I ensure that a standard encoding is used that does not mess things
up?

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin