List:       quagga-users
Subject:    [quagga-users 13269] Re: Advice on hardware/OS for BGP router
From:       Sanjeev Gupta <sanjeev () dcs1 ! biz>
Date:       2013-05-04 3:16:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi,

For 3 years, I ran quagga on a what was a (effectively) desktop at our HQ.
We had 2 full BGP feeds.  The desktop config was:

   1. Pentium 2.x GHz
   2. Quad-port Intel NIC
   3. 2GB RAM
   4. HW RAID-1 (2x160GB PATA)
   5. Debian 4 or so (this was 2006)

the machine ran flawlessly, without a hiccup.  It also was the DHCP/DNS
Server (multiple internal subnets), and squid as a proxy for outgoing
traffic.

It was routing 2 6M WAN links, and multiple internal networks.

Your Dell 1450 should not break a sweat, or even notice the load.  The only
issue may be that your PCI bus gets saturated, you may want a quad-port NIC
on PCI-E.  The other minor quibble is hardware failure (which is why I was
using a desktop, I had 40 exact same configs being used by staff, so if I
had had a power-supply or motherboard failure, I could have swapped with
whoever was on leave today).

--
Sanjeev Gupta
+65 98551208   http://sg.linkedin.com/in/ghane