List:       quagga-users
Subject:    [quagga-users 12293] Removing RIPv1 (was: Torus network and Quagga)
From:       "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler () tolaris ! com>
Date:       2011-05-18 4:42:27

On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 21:03 +0100, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> Meanwhile, the default configuration on quagga is to accept both ripv1 and
> ripv2 announcements.  This is really broken behaviour because ripv1 is a
> fundamentally broken protocol which cannot be fixed.  So if you configure
> up a rip router on your quagga installation, by default you are listen for
> v1 probably without knowing it, and consequently you are running the risk
> of introducing unintentional breakage into your network if someone happens
> to stick a ripv1 speaker on your net.  There's no authentication support
> and no access-list support in quagga to filter this out either.

I agree that defaulting to listen for RIPv1 is a mistake and that should
be fixed. But there is no reason to remove support altogether, for the
reasons Lennart made clear.

While Quagga doesn't have filter/ACL support, I use iptables for this
purpose and it works fine.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"A society that will trade a little order for a little freedom will
lose both, and deserve neither."