List:       quagga-users
Subject:    [quagga-users 12173] Re: State of the Quagga?
From:       Bryan Schenker <bschenker () restechservices ! net>
Date:       2011-03-21 17:06:35

We have two border routers pushing up to 700mbits each on a dual core,
2GB RAM setup. Some are using MD5, but we've found that one router
didn't much care for the MD5 implementation--never tracked down the
cause, but there was one peer at an exchange that negotiated MD5 just
fine, but if ever there was a flap, it required the other party to reset
their BGP connection to us. This was almost 2 years ago, though, so
there may have been bug fixes since then. It also could have been
something on the other side as well, but we just removed md5 for that
one peer. All the other MD5 sessions we have established at the peering
exchange have worked without problem for the same 2 years.

MD5 support is in modern kernels and does not need patching. Distros may
or may not have that feature enabled in their stock kernels, but you can
check using make menuconfig on kernel source and go to Networking
Support-->Networking Options-->TCP: MD5 Signature Option support. If you
are using stock kernel, check the config in the /boot partition for the
version of kernel you are running and look for CONFIG_TCP_MD5SIG=y .

Bryan

Bryan Schenker
Director
ResTech Services