List:       quagga-users
Subject:    [quagga-users 12056] Re: OSPF: traffic outage when NBMA network is
From:       Ingo Flaschberger <if () xip ! at>
Date:       2011-01-17 21:43:35

Dear Eric,

> I'm running Quagga 0.99.15 on a linux 2.4-20 kernel. We have a number of
> routers connected by wireless point-to-point links that implement a
> full-mesh NBMA network.

> Everything seems to be working OK, except that when the entire wireless
> network is rebooted, we sometimes end up with network where no network
> traffic flows until approx 30 minutes have passed (LSAs time out, I
> presume).

perhaps you get a split of area 0.0.0.0? which is very worse!
try to run the wireless stuff in another area - but all areas must be
connected to "backbone" area 0.0.0 at least once, if not other possible
also via a virtual link. -> see cisco.com docs

> [Sidebar question: Is there any control interface to OSPF that allows
> out-of-band notification of neighbor status? In mycase, I can detect
> failure of a neighbor through the radio channel -- if I could pass this
> info to OSPF, I would not need to wait for a router dead interval.]

you will need to code a own interface to quagga to inject this info.

> I haven't attached any logs, since I'm not sure what information is most
> useful (will do so when requested!). However, I attach below a sample
> configuration (the configuration is similar on all routers....) The base
> IP configuration is handled outside of zebra. For the configuration below,
> eth0 is 172.16.100.5/24, and the radio interface is 10.100.0.51/22

for "wireless" == "interface down" recognision, you need direct attached
and linkaware wireless nics at the quagga boxes.
if not - simple solution - reduce helo times and dead-interval:

fast:
ip ospf hello-interval 1 # default 10
ip ospf dead-interval 5 # default 40

very fast:
ip ospf dead-interval minimal hello-multiplier ...
(read the docs - currently just found the feature)

kind regards,
         ingo flaschberger