List:       quagga-users
Subject:    [quagga-users 11994] Re: Is this supposed to work (or actually,
From:       "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler () tolaris ! com>
Date:       2010-12-09 11:16:37

My constant refrain: disable rp_filter before spending any more time on
this. If it hasn't screwed you already, it will.

http://www.tolaris.com/2009/07/13/disabling-reverse-path-filtering-in-complex-networks/

Just out of curiosity, why failover between two bonds? Why not just make
one big bond and use it?

Regards,
Tyler

On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 10:51 +0000, Arie_Blumenzweig@Dell.com wrote:
> Hi All, sorry if this is a re-post (had some e-mail mishaps lately :-)
>

> I'm trying to fail over and back a route between two Linux bonds, and
> it doesn't work.   The setup is as follows, the configuration files
> follow:
>

> 1. I have two nodes, each with two bonds (bond0 and bond1), each with
> three links underneath (bond0: eth20, eth21, eth22 and bond1:eth0,
> eth1, eth2)
>

> 2. The nodes run zebra and ospfd (config files below)
>

> 3. I configure IP addr 117.1.1.1/24 and 117.1.1.2/24 on bond0 on the
> two nodes
>

> 4. I set the links of bond0 on node0 down, one after the other.  As
> expected, packets pass through to the other
>
>     node (a few netperf UDP_STREAMs from node0 to node1) , being sent
> by the bond driver via one of the remaining available links.
>

> 5. As soon as all the links in bond0 are down zebra moves the route
> for network 117.1.1.0/24 from bond0 to be routed via one of the
>
>     networks on bond1.
>

> 6. Packets stop passing through (I monitor the counters
> in /sys/class/net/bond[01]/statistics/tx_packets).  I expected the
> packets
>
>     to be routed via bond1 (was I wrong?)
>

> 7. As soon as I bring any of bond0.s links up packets get flowing
> again
>

> I'm aware to the fact that the bonding module doesn't report its link
> status to zebra, so I used netplugd to
>
> monitor /sys/class/net/bond0/slave_eth2[0-2]/operstate
> and /sys/class/net/bond0/operstate and:
>

> 1. ip link set bond0 down - when all its underlying links are down
>
> 2. ip link set bond0 up - when any of its links comes up
>
> 3. ifconfig bond0 down - when bond0 gets either out or probed.
>

> Is my setup supposed to work, is it known to have worked anywhere?
>

> Your help is greatly appreciated!
>

> My configuration:
>

> Node0:zebra.conf
>

> ! -*- zebra -*-
>
> hostname node0
>

> interface eth30
>
>    ip address  117.192.0.1/10
>

> interface bond0
>
>   ip address 117.1.1.1/24
>

> interface bond1
>
>   ip address 172.41.52.0/16
>

> Node0:ospfd.conf
>

> interface eth30
>
>   ip ospf cost 100
>

> interface bond0
>
>   ip ospf cost 100
>

> interface bond1
>
>   ip ospf cost 33
>

> router ospf
>
>   ospf router-id 0.0.0.1
>
>   network 117.192.0.0/10   area 0.0.1.0
>
>   network 117.1.1.0/24     area 0.0.1.0
>
>   network 172.41.52.0/16   area 0.0.1.0
>

> Again, many thanks!
>

> Arie

"If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest
man, I would find something in them to have him hanged."
  -- Armand Jean du Plessis, Cardinal Richelieu