List:       quagga-users
Subject:    [quagga-users 11755] Re: Static Linux Default Route with a Lower
From:       Kyle Brandt <kyle () kbrandt ! com>
Date:       2010-09-02 15:06:16

Tyler:

The syntax to add a route with a higher Metric seems to be:
route add default gw 192.168.1.1 metric 1000

So it seems that maybe Linux equates the administrative distance and
metric unlike Cisco?

from `man route`:
Metric: The 'distance' to the target (usually counted in hops). It is
not used by recent kernels, but may be needed by routing daemons.

So if this is the case it looks like this might be the answer I need
(will have to experiment).

Since this is the default route it seems like it shouldn't mess up any
directly connected routes.  Can you maybe explain the scenario of how
this would cause a problem with bad routes coming in over BGP -- I
don't fully understand...

Lennart:

The "Why not Zebra" is what I tried to say before -- I want a backup
in case zebra/bgpd fails. The particular case I have now is some sort
of race condition in upstart (I think) that causes the quagga suite
not to start at boot.  Chances are not that great, but if both my
routers power off and both have this issue I won't be able to ssh to
them remotely.

Thank you everyone for your time,
Kyle