List:       quagga-users
Subject:    [quagga-users 9931] Re: V.35 T1 hardware ?
From:       lsorense () csclub ! uwaterloo ! ca (Lennart Sorensen)
Date:       2008-09-24 15:09:58

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 04:53:04PM -0400, Christopher Meadors wrote:
> While their hardware is nice, their software seems to be stuck in the
> 1990s.  I used their ISA T1 cards in 1999 and just tried the PCIe
> version a few months ago.  The software was nearly identical from 10
> years ago.  We couldn't make it work well in a modern Linux distro
> (albeit using PPP instead of HDLC), and in the end exchanged the cards
> for Digium's PCIe T1 which worked without hassle--although we're still
> seeing some problem with the PPP interface and Quagga, but that's
> another post.

Well they did a major rewrite in 2004 where they split the protocol and
driver layers apart making it more generic.  Their configuration
interface and config files still look mostly the same though.  On the
other hand when they have tried to change anything in the config syntax
for no good reason I make sure they don't.  I hate having to rewrite the
parser/generator code for their config files.

> So that's two votes for Digium, two for Sangoma with one against.  I'd
> say do what we did and buy from a distributor which has a good return
> policy and see what works for you.  But there are people out here using
> Linux as a T1 router with Quagga.

Well we use sangoma cards because they make cards that work for us, seem
to survive the itemp conditions we put them under, and they are located
just across town from where I work.

--
Len Sorensen