List:       quagga-users
Subject:    [quagga-users 7154] Re: Quagga-users Digest, Vol 35, Issue 35
From:       Michael Bernstein <mb_jobs () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2006-06-30 18:32:17

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

I'm currently configuring 2 intel P3 boxes (RH9 linux) with ten 100Mb intel nics, 5 \
each, running Redhat 9. I'm hoping with iperf I can get benchmark speeds of close to \
500 Mbps (wirespeed). I will post results within the next day or so.

After that I want to test my 2 amd64 ht boxes 3000+ Athlons, 512 or 1GB ram.
I have a collection of PCIe Gb nics (Broadcom & SysKonnect).  I would also put on 64 \
bit linux.  I'm looking at CentOS, I've gotten 64bit Gentoo working on it. There is a \
Redhat 64bit ES but is this necessary? Fedora I'm not a fan of.

Gobble - when you say the system will struggle, what bottlenecks are present in the \
amd64 ht setup? Will running a 64bit linux VS 32bit linux help the situation?

I'm pretty disappointed that per-packet routing/ load balancing is not available for \
linux "yet". What is so hard about implementing CEF in linux?

Regards,
Mike
CCIE #16395

Gobbledegeek <gobbledegeek@gmail.com> wrote: Is it possible to get wirespeed with \
channel bonded gigabit nics anyone? I think the system will struggle to cope with a \
single gigabit nic. Are you on amd64 hypertransport  platform or old intel fsb?

Rgrds

On 6/30/06, Michael Bernstein  wrote:
> Hi and thanks. I am going to try the channel bonding solution (yes, i have
> done this with Ciscos before but not Quagga). It appears to use round robin
> load balancing which is good. My goal is to aggregate multiple ethernet
> parallel links back2back with another linux router. I would be interested to
> build a distributing cryptanalytic network application.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike, CCIE
>

> Gobbledegeek  wrote:
>
> > I'm looking at a Linux platform for this, or BSD, but BSD according to
> Gobble is NOT a good routing platform.
>
> I'm not a BSD hater- I use BSD at home. That quote sounds out of context. :(
>
> Since you are CCNP you must know that ecmp is only good enought for
> local back-to-back links, or internal nets withinin your own control.
> It can hamper TCP performance with variable latency across both links.
>
> Channel-bonding may be a better option.
>
> --
> Nonchalantly yours
> GobbledeGeek
> [Everything but Gobbledegook.. !!]

Nonchalantly yours
GobbledeGeek
[Everything but Gobbledegook.. !!]

Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.  Great rates starting \
at 1&cent;/min.