List:       quagga-users
Subject:    [quagga-users 5126] An ipv6 peering issue.
From:       Martijn Jordaan <mjordaan () wanadoo ! nl>
Date:       2005-08-17 23:15:57

Hi all,

At the moment I'm having some problems keeping my ipv6 peers nicely
configured after a Quagga restart. I basically configure my peers as
follows:

router bgp 65124
nei 2001::something remote-as 65125
no nei 2001::something activate
!
address-family ipv6
nei 2001::something activate
!

When I do this from the bgpd console it works like a charm. However when
I write it to a config file somehow the 'no nei 2001::something
activate' disappears. This is rather annoying behaviour 'cause loosing
this statement makes Quagga accept ipv4 routes through an ipv6 session
afer a restart. This happened to me when enabling an ipv6 peering
session on the virt-ix with someone having a rather buggy filter. He
started anouncing me the whole virt-ix including a default gw which
resulted in breaking all my tunnels 'cause they couldn't reach their
tunnel endpoint anymore. Also, manually editing the config file and
setting the 'no nei 2001::something activate' won't help. Quagga just
ignores it.

At the moment I fixed it by using ipv4 filters on ipv6 sessions. A dirty
trick, but it works.

Another solution given to me by Paul from #quagga was to deactivate ipv4
unicast peers by default and activate every ipv4 peer by itself. I
haven't tested this one yet, it might work but I'm also not alltogether
happy with it ;-)

What I'd like to know from you guys / girls, is wether I'm just
configuring my ipv6 plainly stupid, afaik it's the Cisco way like this
but hey..., or is it Quagga being naughty?

Greets,
Martijn