List:       quagga-dev
Subject:    [quagga-dev 5238] Re: [quagga-users 9315] New md5 signature patch
From:       Ingo Flaschberger <if () xip ! at>
Date:       2008-01-29 16:40:38

Dear Michael,

> 	I find it very hard to believe that FreeBSD would not validate this.
> It sounds more likely that the passwords were not actually set in the
> first place for some reason.  Have you used tcp dump to confirm that the
> packets are signed and verify against the appropriate passwords?  If so,
> that would sound like a bug in FreeBSD.  If not, then the patch is not
> working for FreeBSD and passwords are not being set.  Do any errors show
> up in the bgpd log file?  Have you tried verifying against a non-FreeBSD
> box (Cisco router or Linux)?

With the freebsd ports patch, md5 works, also to ciscos.
man tcp:
      TCP_MD5SIG   This option enables the use of MD5 digests (also known as
                   TCP-MD5) on writes to the specified socket.  In the current
                   release, only outgoing traffic is digested; digests on
                   incoming traffic are not verified.  The current default
                   behavior for the system is to respond to a system advertis-
                   ing this option with TCP-MD5; this may change.

I'm now checking how it was implemented in Linux and then trying to get a
patch into freebsd.

> 	I was not able to test the FreeBSD aspect and was relying on the
> earlier work of others for that and hoping others would test it out.
> Can anyone else verify this?

Ok, I will test the patch.

Bye,
 	Ingo