List:       quagga-dev
Subject:    [quagga-dev 4483] Re: Multipath with OSPF
From:       Stefanos Harhalakis <v13 () priest ! com>
Date:       2006-11-17 11:36:37

On Wednesday 15 November 2006 17:44, Len Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 06:06:08PM -0500, Andrew J. Schorr wrote:
> > Another approach is to patch your linux kernel to do round-robin ECMP
> > (search for the iproute2 'equalize' keyword).  But that has other
> > performance implications, I think.  From the "ip" man page:
> >
> >        equalize
> >               allow packet by packet randomization on multipath routes.
> > With- out this modifier, the route will be frozen to one selected nex-
> > thop,  so  that load splitting will only occur on per-flow base. equalize
> > only works if the kernel is patched.
> >
> > This would seem to be a much simpler solution for what you seem to want.
>
> I have never found this patch.  Does anyone know where it is?  I have
> looked for it a number of times and never found it.

Just to add a note to this thread:

  Per packet load balancing is not a good thing(tm) most of the times. Adding
variable latency and out of order delivery of packets to TCP connections will
most probably reduce your overall throughput and increase bandwidth usage.
Apart from this, this should work by forcing the OS to stop using its route
cache if any and in that case will it lead to greater CPU usage.

> Len Sorensen
<<V13>>