List:       quagga-dev
Subject:    [quagga-dev 461] ripngd and privileged user
From:       Venkata Pingali <pingali () isi ! edu>
Date:       2003-11-12 20:21:27

Hi,

We have an ipv6-ipv6 tunnel network for which we are using quagga/ripngd.
We would like to run the daemon with zebra user privileges. while the
zebra daemon and ripd daemon seem to be working fine, ripngd is having an
issue - it is unable to send or receive any ripng messages. Upon
investigation I find that the multicast join is failing with permission
denied as the error. Further tracing showed that the ripngd is first doing
a setruid to the zebra user and then trying to add itself to the multicast
group. Apparently it is unable to join with the lower level of privileges.
When we ran ripngd with root privileges, everything is fine. I suspect
that I did not create zebra user in the "right" way. Has anybody seen this
kind of an error? or could suggest any solutions?

/etc/master.passwd
zebra:*:520:520::0:0:Zebra User:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin

/etc/group
zebra:*:520:

thanks.
Venkata