List:       qmailadmin
Subject:    [qmailadmin] Re: cc setup for users
From:       "Paul L. Allen" <pla () softflare ! com>
Date:       2003-10-31 3:12:43

W.D. McKinney writes:

> Does qmailadmin allow for user setup and the ability to cc all messages
> to that user ?

As I understand it, qmailadmin has never had this capability.  The
most recent versions, which I have not tested, may or may not
have this ability (but I doubt it).

> We have customers who use qmailadmin to admin the domains. I have one
> who wants to all e-mail sent to usera cc's to userb on the domain he is
> admin for.

You (as server admin) CAN do this through the qmail msglog facility,
although you will have to filter the domains of interest and it will
have a serious performance hit on your system unless you do it in
a compiled language rather than a scripting language.

Note also that such copying may be illegal in some jurisdictions even
if the owner of the domain explicitly asks you to do this.

Whoops!  What AM I thinking. The msglog stuff is NOT an intrinsic part
of qmail even though some jurisdictions (including mine) now require that
you copy every mail message that passes through your server so the spooks
can read them.  But DJB refuses to incorporate this legal requirement (in
some countries) into qmail so you will have to rely upon unofficial
patches,

> He wants to do this in qmailadmin though.

It could be done in qmailadmin, but the legal implications of letting
users do things that may be illegal in your jurisdiction are worrying.
Having read UK laws and proposed UK laws in this area, there's no
way I would let one of our clients do this unless my increasingly
pointy-haired boss ordered me to do so and legally indemnified me
(legal scholars will know that my boss cannot indemnify me in this
situataion, which is why I will tell him to go #"$! himself if he ever
asks me to this.)  Being unemployed is bad, but being scared about what
might happen in the prison showers if you drop the soap and bend over to
pick it up is a lot worse.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support