List:       qmail-scanner-general
Subject:    Re: [Qmail-scanner-general]high load average
From:       qmail-scanner () anastrophe ! com
Date:       2003-10-28 0:49:13

At 03:43 PM 10/27/2003, Jeff Koch wrote:
>Our mailserver running qmail-scanner/SA runs at a Load Average of about
>0.90 and sometimes hits 2.00. However, the CPU is still 95% idle. Can
>someone explain what load average means and how we can use more of the CPU
>in order to get greater throughput. We're using a 2.4Ghz P4 with 1.0GB of RAM.

these queries fall more into the general unix category than qmail-scanner.
however. load average is a measure of the number of processes in the run
queue. it's not specifically tied to CPU, not at all. if a process is
blocked waiting on I/O, it'll add to the load average, even though it's not
waiting on CPU cycles, it's waiting on I/O cycles.

your bottleneck is most likely disk I/O. what's your disk configuration?
how many messages are you processing at one time (generally determined by
your /var/qmail/control/concurrency[local/remote] values).

i can pretty easily make my qmail-scanner/SA/clamav server's load average
go up and down at will by just increasing the number of concurrent
connections it can receive from my primary MX.  i keep my load average
around 8 or 9, and that's with a maximum seven concurrent connections from
the primary MX.

but this is a much lower end machine than yours - sun netra T1, 360Mhz,
512M ram. and i only process about 1,000 messages per hour.

Paul Theodoropoulos
http://www.anastrophe.com