List:       qmail-ldap
Subject:    A solution for a wide mail corporation using qmail and LDAP
From:       Christian Pinheiro <pinheiro () veritel ! com ! br>
Date:       1999-05-26 15:23:27

Joe Garcia wrote:

> This is what I was talking about before, this allows multiple machines
> to accept mail for multiple domains.  For example, my setup here allows
> for mail comming to foo.com to be accepted by any of my 5 qmail servers,
> but I cannot get it to work for any other domain because my search
> filter is statically attached to foo.com.  If we could "tear out" the
> domain in qmail-send, have it determine the the LDAP search filter from
> a CDB and pass the filter to qmail-lspawn, that would be real cool,
> hard, but cool.

Do you 5 qmail-servers? Im looking for a solution. Maybe you can help
me.
I want to have more than one serevr storing mailboxes, maybe 2 or 3, but
just one
receiving requests. I will have more than 100.000 users, and dont want
to buy disk
arrays to store mailboxes.

If I could have one(or more, in round robin DNS) server(s) receiving POP
and SMTP
requests, and sending/retrieving mail to/from the right server, It will
be the perfect solution. So, as long as the number of users increase, I
can put one more server storing mailboxes.

But, my users have to setup their client with just one server address,
like pop.foo.com, indeppendetly of where his mailboxes is locates.

I Think I can do that with qmail and LDAP, but Andre told me MailHost is
not working.
Maybe putting the users mailboxes in his homedir, like:

/export/home/a/ajones
/export/home/b/bgates
etc

... and linking a,b...f to server 1, g,h....o to server 2.... etc

Now I have qmail + LDAP authenticating OK. I have to have all user
information in a centralized database, not in each mailbox server, but
/etc/passwd is to slow for more
than 65.000 users. I will also change passwords, and I've tested it and
it's too slow.
This problem is quite solved. The main problem is so know whether is
there any way to use the NFS solution above using qmail, and your
opinion about that.

Thanks in advance

Christian Pinheiro
pinheiro@veritel.com.br