List:       qmail-ldap
Subject:    Re: How to control multilog files? (and other logs stuff)
From:       Vicente Aguilar <bisente () bisente ! com>
Date:       2008-11-11 13:05:42

Hi

You can use the s (size) and n (number of files) options as described
here:

http://cr.yp.to/daemontools/multilog.html

Besides, keep in mind how qmail works: every log message is printed to
stdout and piped to /service/WHATEVER/log/run's stdin, which usually
runs multilog. But you can replace it with any other program, as long
as it can read its input from stdin. You could easily code a script
that reads from stdin and inserts every log line on a DB, if that's
what you want.

For example, at a company I worked at our /service/qmail-smtpd/log/run
file looked like this:

#!/bin/sh
setuidgid qmaill \
envdir ./env \
sh -c '
     exec /usr/bin/funnel \| \
     "| /var/qmail/bin/splogger smtpd 17" | \
     multilog \
         t \
         ${MAXFILESIZE+"s$MAXFILESIZE"} \
         ${MAXLOGFILES+"n$MAXLOGFILES"} \
         ${PROCESSOR+"!$PROCESSOR"} \
         /var/qmail/log/qmail-smtpd
'

By using funnel we sent qmail's output to two logger programs:
multilog AND splogger. Multilog did local logs, and was easily setup
with the env/MAXFILESIZE, MAXLOGFILES and PROCESSOR files; and
splogger was configured to send a copy of every log line to a central
syslog server (our mail system was a cluster of seven).

Hope that helps

Regards

--
   Vicente Aguilar <bisente@bisente.com> | http://www.bisente.com