List:       qmail-ldap
Subject:    Re: User Unknown
From:       Chris Wilkes <cwilkes-qmailldap () ladro ! com>
Date:       2004-11-30 1:54:57

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 02:00:28PM -0800, Hadi Setiadi wrote:
> Is there a patch or config somewhere that will make qmail-ldap send
> out "User Unknown" message when there is no user in the ldap database
> as the message coming in (not as a bounce that says mailbox not
> found)?  We need it so that our Barracuda spam filter server will be
> able to see which email address is a valid ones.

Do you use -dashext emails, like setiadi-qmail@example.com?  Make sure
your spam filter understands that those are allowed.  I frequently make
up email addresses like those on the fly so I can see if an online
registration has sold my address to someone.

A more permanent solution might be to see if your spam filter can query
an LDAP server for proper email addresses.  Or are you doing this so
that you can tell your Barracuda "this IP address tried to send to a
bogus email account -- put them on an RBL"?

Chris