List:       qmail-ldap
Subject:    Problem with auth pop and connection forwarding,
From:       Enrico Cavalli <e.cavalli () cilea ! it>
Date:       2002-09-25 21:44:17

Hi, this is the first time I write to the list. I'm new to qmail, but I
really want to use it to deploy a cluster for a large number of
mailboxes.

I use RedHat Linux 7.3, qmail-1.03, qmail-ldap-1.03-20020901.patch, the
latest daemontools, ucspi-tcp, qmail-conf...

smtp, qmqpd, everything works fine (I read life with qmail and life with
qmail-ldap, everything is very clear).

even pop3 works if I connect to a machine which is the mailHost for a
given user.

The problem is when I connect to mail2 and for example my mailHost is
mail1: the connection gets forwarded, and mail2 sends the "user ..."
part of the pop3 dialog to mail1. I checked this with tcpdump and later
on with DEBUG on the mail2 side.

I worked 2 days on this problem and it was getting me crazy when ....
this evening I decided to look at auth_pop.c, in particular I modified
auth_forward() and set to

 substdio_put(&ss, "\r\n", 2);

the two lines which were

 substdio_put(&ss, "\r\n", 1);

Now everything works perfectly. Please keep in mind that

1. I don't undestand  C very well
2. I knew the problem is when the forwarder waits for the OK after
sending user login
3. I suppose that the third parameter in substdio_put counts the number
of character you have to put in some file descriptor

If someone can tell me something about that I'll be extremly grateful.

Bye,

--
Enrico Cavalli
CILEA - via R. Sanzio 4, 20090 - Segrate (MI), Italy