List:       qmail
Subject:    Re: Outgoing IP
From:       "Joshua Megerman" <josh () honorablemenschen ! com>
Date:       2010-06-23 16:01:28

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 02:42:01PM -0700, Pedram M wrote:
>> Is there any other patches available that will allow this rotation in
>> real
>> time, and possibly load balancing between the multiple ip's.
>
> Maybe it is a lack of coffee, but I totally don't understand what you are
> talking about.
>
> I am one of the authors of such a patch. All patches I know about make
> use of a control file which contains the IP address qmail-remote shall
> bind to. This file is read every time qmail-remote is run (aka for each
> message and each new delivery cycle, if a message has been deferred).
> Changing this file will change the outgoing IP address immediately
> for all qmail-remote processes being started.
> So what do you mean by "rotation in real time".
>
> Load balancing works usually incoming. You have too much messages coming
> in for a single server to handle, so you split the load over a few
> servers. All these share one externally visible IP address.
> Outgoing load balancing is used if a system generates too many messages
> (large mailing lists) for one server to send out. The creator then
> splits the message over a range of delivery systems that have queues
> and do retries and such (qmail has qmqp for that kind of problems).
>
> Why do you think you "balance load" if you only have one server anyway
> but use different IP addresses for sending? (Which btw. is totally
> breaking greylisting, which is still widely used).
>
> So, probably there is no such patch as such a patch is IMHO pretty
> useless.

The only thing I can thing of is something I helped set up once for a
clustered qmail setup where multiple servers shared a single NFS-mounted
/var/qmail/control directory.  Since multiple servers can't use the same
outgoing IP, each had to have its own control file.

The solution was to create /etc/qmail on each server, and symlink
/var/qmail/control/outgoingip to /etc/qmail/outgoingip.  That way, each
server read the local file via the symlink, and thus each server could
have its own outgoing IP (as well they should have).

But to reiterate what Markus said, sending outgoing mail from multiple IPs
on ONE server is just dumb...

Josh

Joshua Megerman
SJGames MIB #5273 - OGRE AI Testing Division
You can't win; You can't break even; You can't even quit the game.
  - Layman's translation of the Laws of Thermodynamics
josh@honorablemenschen.com