List:       qmail
Subject:    Re: Re : Tr : Re : mail send and seen as spam
From:       Kyle Wheeler <kyle-qmail () memoryhole ! net>
Date:       2010-05-12 13:52:25

On Tuesday, May 11 at 10:27 PM, quoth sam sayag:
> The guy know the way to send them with the smtp of his ISP but there
> is quotas on it - 500 per day or close.

Understood - but if he needs to send more email than that, that seems
like something he needs to work out with his ISP. Trying to sneak
around limits your ISP places on you is tricky business, and often
unreliable.

> So if I sum up to a practical advice :
> - use static IP adress
> - reverse DNS lookup

Indeed.

> => does it mean from IP => domainName test servers make ?

It does mean IP=>domainName mapping.

> If it is a IP=> domain test, is it on the Return Path domain, on the
> original Received clause on the From Domain (see below).

No, it's usually like this:

     1. What is the IP address that is connecting to my server?
     2. What is the host name of that IP address? (aka reverse DNS)
     3. What is the IP address of that host name? (aka normal DNS)
     4. Does that IP address match the IP that is connecting to my
        server?

Unfortunately, samuelsayag.homelinux.net does not appear to exist in
DNS. This is an *additional* problem that will ALSO tend to get your
email marked as spam.

> In the case of a reverse DNS request, do I need to setup a namserver
> in my LAN and forward my ISP Box port 53 to it ?

No, that wouldn't help.

The way reverse DNS works is by looking up a modified form of the IP
address in the DNS database. For example, to get the reverse DNS of
the IP address 1.2.3.4, you would look up 4.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa. So to
have control of your IP address's reverse lookup information, you have
to have that domain delegated to you by the people up-stream (in other
words, your ISP).

If your ISP doesn't want to delegate this to you, then there's very
little you can do about this other than to change to a new ISP.

You may want to read up on DNS and how it works. This website has more
details on a lot of DNS basics:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.5

~Kyle
- --
There in America we are descended in blood and in spirit from
revolutionist and rebel men and women who dare to dissent from
accepted doctrine. As their heirs, may we never confuse honest dissent
with disloyal subversion.
                                                -- Dwight D. Eisenhower