List:       qmail
Subject:    Re: Rejecting Unknown Local Recipients
From:       John Simpson <jms1 () jms1 ! net>
Date:       2008-04-15 18:38:22

On 2008-04-13, at 1727, Otavio Exel wrote:
> Robert - elists wrote:
>>
>> http://qmail.jms1.net
>> look for validrcptto
>> jms1 put together a whole patch set that we have been using for years
>> now.
>
> I'm in the process of setting up a mail-server with qmail;
> I had to postpone learning qmail for a while; I'll be back soon!
>
> but for now... I was shocked to read this thread!
> rejecting mail to non-existent users (or aliases) at SMTP time seems
> like a must-have feature these days...
>
> I can see that jms1's qmail patch is highly praised among
> subscribers of
> this list; I wonder if it would be a better choice than netqmail...

i just want to say for the record- i don't see myself or my patch as a
"competitor" to netqmail. i have a lot of respect for the people
behind netqmail, and have always recommended that people follow the
"life with qmail" directions a few times in order to become familiar
with qmail itself, before trying to tackle my patch and everything it
adds to the mix.

as far as i know, everything that netqmail adds to djb's code is also
added as part of my combined patch. however, there are a few things in
there which can bite you in the behind if you're not careful. PLEASE
go through the web page very carefully, and understand what you're
doing before you start converting any live servers.

http://qmail.jms1.net/patches/combined-detail.shtml

also note that if the only extra feature you need is the
validrcptto.cdb patch, there IS a stand-alone validrcptto.cdb patch
for netqmail-1.05. i haven't looked at 1.06 yet, but if it holds to
the netqmail philosophy of minimizing the number of changes, i
wouldn't be surprised to find that it works for 1.06 as well.

http://qmail.jms1.net/patches/validrcptto.cdb.shtml

and to be fair, mine is not the only "mega patch" out there. if you're
looking for a mega patch, you owe it to yourself and your users to
investigate all of them, and choose the one which best fits your needs.

| John M. Simpson  --  KG4ZOW  --  Programmer At Large |
| http://www.jms1.net/                 <jms1@jms1.net> |
|   Hope for America  --  http://www.ronpaul2008.com/  |