List:       qmail
Subject:    Re: sOT: Blacklists
From:       John Johnstone <jjohnstone () tridentusa ! com>
Date:       2008-03-24 21:12:44

Oliver Welter wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> sorry as this is slightly offtopic, but I dont know where to ask else ;)
>
> As some users complaint, that mail sent via my toaster is often marked
> as Spam, I tried to find out if I am on some blacklist.

There are quite a few reasons that mail can be marked as spam besides an
RBL.  It is quite possible that an RBL is not the reason that your users
are having trouble.  Absence of a reverse DNS definition for your
server's IP address is one that will almost guarantee that mail sent
from your server will be tagged or rejected.

> First glance was my nagios plugin repository, where I found a niffy tool
> "rblscheck".
>
> I ran it on my mailservers IP and it tells me, that I am listed on:
> block.blars.org
> formmail.relays.monkeys.com
> pm0-no-more.compu.net
> proxies.relays.monkeys.com
> relays.radparker.com
> spammers.v6net.org

These lists are not likely to be used by many sites.  If your IP address
is listed on an RBL that no one uses, will it prevent the delivery of
any mail?

> I never heard about these RBLS anytime before and tried to figure out,
> how to get removed, but I cant find any valuable information about
> these. Just "relays.radparker.com" shows a page, telling that it is not
> providing services any longer, the other sites look mre than
> Link-Factories than Anti-Spam Initiatives....

A significant RBL will publish the process that is to be used for list
removal.

> Can anybody perhaps shed some light on this and perhaps has a list of
> the "usually suspects" of RBLs.

Being listed by Spamhaus, Spamcop, or SORBS for example, would be much
more of a problem than being listed by the ones you have shown.  You
need to do some work and contact the sites that have received your mail
to find out the exact reasons why it has been marked as spam.

--
John J.