List:       qmail
Subject:    Re: forwarding and storing for virtualdomain
From:       Seth Kurtzberg <seth () cql ! com>
Date:       2007-03-06 22:22:20

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 10:01:49 -0600
Charles Cazabon <qmail@discworld.dyndns.org> wrote:

> I believe there are tools out there intended for benchmarking mail servers;
> they'll do things like record SMTP converstations off the wire and let you
> "play them back" at another server -- that would probably be a better way of
> accomplishing your testing.

Another method is to use a packet sniffer with appropriate capture filters, creating \
a stream that can be replayed.  Both the capture and playback are easy to implement \
with ethereal, and I'm sure other packet sniffers have similar capabilities.

An obvious advantage is that you are repeating a stream that actually occurred.  You \
can't get more real than that.  If you need to design and shape the traffic, however, \
this method won't help.  I find it especially useful to identify problems triggered \
by a particular data pattern.

Seth Kurtzberg
Operating systems, drivers, and security.
Qualcomm