List:       qmail
Subject:    Re: loggin into db
From:       Kyle Wheeler <kyle-qmail () memoryhole ! net>
Date:       2007-01-27 18:15:14

On Saturday, January 27 at 05:26 PM, quoth Miki:
> I want ask you if there is any method or idea how can be multilog
> output redirected to write into database,

Umm, I think you may be confused here. Multilog is a program that
takes a stream of text and writes it into a set of files. Multilog's
"output", as it were, are files.

Now, instead of sending your stream of text (i.e. log content) to
multilog, you could send it to some sort of program that would store
the log content in a database. Or you could tell multilog that
whenever a log must be rotated, it should be fed to a script that will
store it into a database. What is it you're trying to achieve here?

> I was thinking about pipelining "thru" some script, but there are
> many lines different, and on high rate it can slow down server a
> lot,

Indeed.

> second is some "postprocessing" of log files and put result into db,

Such as whenever the main log gets rotated out?

> for example some perl periodically scanning thru current file.

Or you could do that. That's pretty easy.

> does anyone idea how to do it or know if its there such thing ?

"such a thing"?

"How to do it" depends on exactly what you want to do. Perhaps a
better thing to do here is to ask the list for the best way to achieve
whatever you want to achieve, rather than come up with a solution
(such as using a perl script or whatnot) and ask if anyone has already
written that solution for you.

What are you trying to achieve?

~Kyle
--
As we enjoy great Advantages from the Inventions of others we should
be glad of an Opportunity to serve others by any Invention of ours,