List:       qmail
Subject:    Re: Slightly OT: Email address harvesting software
From:       Kyle Wheeler <kyle-qmail () memoryhole ! net>
Date:       2007-01-22 21:43:19

On Monday, January 22 at 01:04 PM, quoth David I. Bell:
> Anyone ever heard of these guys?
> ================================
> http://contentsmartz.com/

No, but I despise them already.

> Of course, Qmail is immune to their sofware because of the way the
> smtpd works (right?). ;-)

HEH, yes, kinda. Vanilla qmail is, anyway. Anyone who's installed a
patch to do recipient verification though, will let them figure out
addresses. I say qmail is only kinda immune because what will happen
is that it will appear to accept EVERY address (in the proper domain)
that they throw at it. It is immune in the sense that it won't reveal
any information, but it is not immune in the sense that their software
will likely report that the entire gigantic list is valid, and then
your server will get hammered with undeliverable spams that need to be
bounced.

> ContentSmartz make some other software packages too.  Seems like a
> spammer's "dream suite".

Mmm. I guess. I don't see that any of their spammer software does
anything that can't be done in a 20-line perl script.

What I find amusing is that their "Customer Spotlight" is a CTO of a
company that doesn't exist.

~Kyle
--
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired
signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are