List:       qmail
Subject:    Re: Packaging of qmail
From:       Georgi Georgiev <chutz () gg3 ! net>
Date:       2007-01-22 11:14:45

maillog: 21/01/2007-19:23:02(-0500): Brett Lee types
> Hi all,
>
> As one who struggled a bit with getting a qmail server up and running, I
> set about to simplify the installation process.
>
> Have come up with a packaging (RPM) that once installed leaves the
> system running a supervised version of qmail.  Since it seems to suit my
> purpose, hope that some others could make use of it as well.  Have tried
> to respect DJB's restrictions on distributing his software, so please
> let me know if this packaging is in violation.
>
> In short, the RPM contains bunch of DJB's tarballs.  The tarballs are
> installed to TEMP, then a post-install script patches, compiles,
> packages then installs each of the RPM's.  The RPM is located at
> http://brettlee.com/qmail/.  Have tried my best, but when you see
> something that needs attention, please let me know.  :)

If you are going to do all installing in the post-install, is there any
good reason to make an RPM in the first place?

As for the other way around, there was a discussion a few years back
that mentioned a proper binary RPM:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.mail.qmail.general/46317/focus=46354
(You may want to check the whole thread).

--
(    Georgi Georgiev   (  Our problems are so serious that the best  (
 )    chutz@gg3.net     ) way to talk about them is lightheartedly.   )