List:       qmail
Subject:    Re: Advanced tricks I use to get rid of spam using MX 4xx
From:       Arkadiusz Dykiel <qmail () extremetel ! net>
Date:       2006-11-30 22:01:15

Hello Marc,

Saturday, November 25, 2006, 5:20:57 PM, you wrote:

> My business is
> junkemailfilter.com and it is likely from what I can tell the most
> accurate spam filter

I know better but I won't mention them here :)

> It's not a secret, but I use every trick that exists and several I
> invented myself.

I think that's why you and some of your customers had been kicked of
LKML.

[advanced, tricky 4xx and other tricks]

All I wanted to say is that your approach to spam is wrong.
Graylisting is good for now but will be obsolete when spammers will
learn the trick and make zombies into MTA-zombies (with own queue and
retry procedures). The best for future is a combination of RBL, p0f +
neural learning and some statistical (not behavioral like
Spamassassin) analysis.

> The concept that if one
> server returns 4xx that it speaks for all servers is a concept that I
> have never heard until yesterday in this forum and it only exists in the
> qmail world.

> So - I have to say that I'm confused and surprized by this and still
> trying to comprehend why qmail behaves differently than every other MTA
> in this regard.

As you may know by now qmail is not actively maintained by its author
since 1998.

--
Best regards,
 Arkadiusz Dykiel