List:       qmail
Subject:    Re: Unsatisfied symbol "__umodsi3" while running make
From:       Felix von Leitner <felix-qmail () fefe ! de>
Date:       2004-09-28 19:17:32

Thus spake Andreas Maus (a.maus@science-computing.de):
> I try to install qmail (to be precise as a qmqp server)
> on an Itanium2 machine running:

[...]
> ld: Unsatisfied symbol "__umodsi3" in file cdb.a[cdb_seek.o]
> 1 errors.
> *** Error exit code 1
> [... snipp ...]

> The qmail code is plain vanilla without any patches.

> conf-cc contains:

> root@access01 /tmp/qmail-1.03 # cat conf-cc
> gcc

gcc compiles some C sequences not into inline instructions but into
calls to a functions in the gcc runtime.  In this case it is a 64-bit
integer division.  The gcc runtime is called libgcc.a or libgcc2.a and
is linked in automatically by gcc.

So if you get this kind of error message it means that you compiled with
gcc but linked with cc (or ld).

Regarding qmail it means you edited conf-cc but forgot to also change
conf-ld.

That's why you should not touch files you don't actually understand.

Felix

PS: this one's for the archives, may Google help the next one with this
problem.  I have seen this question asked too many time on different
mailing lists on different mailing lists.