List:       qmail
Subject:    filtering for spam, viruses
From:       "Mike Burkhouse" <mburkhouse () learningvoyage ! com>
Date:       2002-07-31 15:51:39

Hi all,

I have had my qmail server up and running for about a month, now.  I am
trying to add spam and virus filtering and I've come up with some questions
during my research:

A.  Installation
	1.  RH 7.2
	2.  qmail 1.0.3 by Life with qmail
		a.  Pop3d
		b.  ucspi-tcp, tcpserver patched with qmailqueue (for qmail-
scanner) and qmail-smtpd-auth.
		c.  tcpserver is also calling rblsmtpd, like so:
#!/bin/sh
QMAILDUID=`id -u qmaild`
NOFILESGID=`id -g qmaild`
MAXSMTPD=`cat /var/qmail/control/concurrencyincoming`
if [ -z "$QMAILDUID" -o -z "$NOFILESGID" -o -z "$MAXSMTPD" ]; then
   echo QMAILDUID, NOFILESGID, or MAXSMTPD is unset in
   echo /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/run
   exit 1
fi
exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 8000000 \
    /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -p -R -l 0 -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c
"$MAXSMTPD" \
       -u "$QMAILDUID" -g "$NOFILESGID" 0 smtp \
       /usr/local/bin/rblsmtpd -rrelays.ordb.org -rbl.spamcop.net \
       /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1 \
       /bin/checkpassword /bin/true /bin/cmd5checkpw /bin/true

	3.  Maildrop
	4.  Sqwebmail
	5.  Ezmlm

B.  My intention is to use SpamAssassin and qmail-scanner sitewide so that
all email is scanned before it gets to the user Maildir.

C.  Questions (I think all qmail configuration files related)

	1.  Looks like I need to install spamAssassin before I install
qmail-scanner, according to what I understand from the docs.  SpamAssassin
needs to be called from maildrop's /etc/maildroprc file in my configuration
(maybe.  Some advise on theory and/or my options here would be very greatly
appreciated).  I haven't been able to figure out how to tell qmail to use
the global maildroprc filter.  I found tons of docs on using .qmail files,
but how do I tell qmail to use the maildrop global filter?  Also, is calling
SA from maildrop even necessary if qmail-scanner is going to call it from
the tcp.smtp file?  Sorry, that last part is a little off-qmail, but not
unrelated.

	2.  After I install qmail-scanner, I see that I am supposed to edit my
/etc/tcp.smtp file to have qmail-smtpd call qmail-scanner-queue.pl, instead
of qmail-queue.  Are these changes recognized on-the-fly, or do I need to
rebuild the .cdb file (qmailctl cdb)?

I think that's all for now - really appreciate your help.

Mike

Resources used - to avoid mad flames that this list is notorious for

1.  qmail Anti-Spam howto
2.  http://qmail-scanner.sourceforge.net
3.  http://us.spamassassin.org
4.  spamAsassin README
5.  spamAssassin mini-howto
6.  Life With qmail
7.  qmail archives, specifically threads related to msg00148 and msg00952
8.  Esd-l Mailing list
9.  Maildrop man pages (maildrop, maildropex, maildropfilter)
10. Dozens, if not more, pages found from searching Google